Wednesday, February 22, 2012

And so it starts...

To start off, I don't think I have awful body image. I'm no model, but I'm not huge. I'm athletically thick if I had to define myself. Having a pear shape doesn't help but I'll take what I get. I still get the snappy "shut up you're so thin" remarks, but standing next to my sister who thinks SHE is chubby (and trust me we'd all kill to be in her body), I'm a cow. Frankly though, I've gained like twenty pounds in about two years, even with ample exercising. The reason? Well... I'm banking on awful genes and unluckiness, but the probable cause is I turned 21 and started drinking a lot more. Like alotalotalotalotalot. And even though I'm still running or doing an hour of cardio at the gym like 4-5 nights a week and core exercises to boot, I'm not liking what I see in the mirror everyday... or trying to wear my favorite jeans...or trying to wear the cute dresses I keep buying. Heavy drinking on Friday and Saturday nights and not having intense running workouts every week seem to have finally caught up with me.

As I sat home last night contemplating Mardi Gras festivities, but recounting how shitty I felt about myself getting ready to go out in AC on the previous Saturday night, I had an idea. Now, I don't have a religious cell in my body and I've never participated in Lent, but I began to wonder if I would be able to give up drinking until Easter. Guess what? Not a snowballs chance in hell. I've been waiting three years at Susquehanna Uni for the chance to come back for the Jim Taylor meet (aka Alumni Weekend for track people) and drink with my friends track side while WATCHING everyone else run and not have to do it myself. St. Patty's Day I can deal with, Jim Taylor weekend... yeah, not giving that up. 

So that gives me five and a half weeks of no alcohol...  no beer, no wine, no beloved tequila and whiskey. And throughout this time I'm going to get my ass outside and run more (5 to 8 mile runs), do more toning (these thighs have GOT to shrink), more ab work, and try to eat healthier. Sincerely try. I have such a bad sweet tooth and a father whose idea of grocery shopping is the chip aisle, the Entenmann's display, white bread, and nothing from the fresh produce side of the store despite bananas. I plan on posting everyday (possibly), with weights, maybe measurements, recipes and exercises I've tried, who knows what else...probably a healthy dose of sass. I have the mentality that if I'm going to broadcast myself to all my facebook "friends" and twitter, I'm going to work my ass off to actually prove that I can do it and not embarrass myself (and I literally hope I work my ass off).

So raise a glass for me, I'll miss it.

The high school body I'd love to go back to and the girls I'd love to see again!

2 comments:

  1. But...but... St. Patty's Day... Sarah Spearing...wahhhhhhhh!

    and you are thin dear ;)

    but good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Good for you! I could give up the alcohol, but not the sweets =P

    My cousin is doing something similar but with lots of intense measurements: http://therelentlesstransformation.com/watch_live/go/marissa

    ReplyDelete